On Sunday, June 23, 2002, the high counselor for Mom's ward, who also happened to be in charge of stake institute, pulled Mom aside to issue her a calling as stake institute secretary. On Tuesday, June 25, Mom was set apart in her new calling. Dad was one of the presidents, and he helped with the setting apart. And now, an excerpt from Mom's journal regarding an incident of note from that evening:
Commentary on a specific event: I was unexpectedly walked home from Institute last night. I knew that he (who shall remain nameless) was going the same direction I was, but figured that we'd part ways whenever either of us got to our turn off. However, when I turned off, he went with me! All the way to my house, despite my living on the other side of 9th East in relation to where he lives. As I thought about the incident later, I realized that he switched sides at some point, thus ending up on the street side of the sidewalk for the last two segments of the journey. I learned the "guy on street side" courtesy from my cousin & have often wondered where it came from. I wonder if this "he" in question knows that rule.
It should be noted that at the time, both Mom and Dad were in active spouse hunting mode (like all good single BYU students, *wink*wink*), and so Mom's journal from that point on until a rather later date is peppered liberally with names and events from now inconsequential people, relative to Muffin history anyway; they are, of course, still consequential in their own right as members of the human family. Mom did not know then which individual would fill the Dad spot, and so she tried to keep a record of the times in general in hopes of catching whatever would turn out to be relevant in the elusive future. Mission accomplished!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment